20/1/17

The last bits and pieces from HPC were completed and I could continue the assembly stage. I had the engine mount brackets,  power steering / alternator brackets and pulleys coated gloss black and the coolant necks coated sterling silver to match the head and block. Of course everything fitted up with new cap screws and washers.

16129241_1403664623001160_1098264776_o 16196801_1403664603001162_767730612_o

16130051_1403664613001161_749633580_o

25/1/17

At this stage I had the engine off the engine stand and on to the newly fabricated engine trolley I was building on the side, I am by no means a professional welder but I’m well pleased with how this came out. I didn’t take many photos of the process but what I made up is fairly straight forward.

I used 50×50 box section steel with all ends mitred to 45 degrees to make a rectangle base frame. Then welded four caster wheels to each corner on the underside of the base frame.
On two parallel sides of the base frame I welded on two vertical sections running in line to where the engine mount brackets are – also mitred to the angle of the engine mount brackets as if sitting on the engine mounts / front sub-frame.

16667326_1427517913949164_1891027923_o

Next I welded two sections of steel plate on top of the vertical sections for the engine to sit on, I drilled holes where needed to bolt through as if bolting to the engine mounts / front sub-frame. I finished the trolley off by grinding a few of the welds down, sanding the frame / prepping for primer and paint. You can see bellow how I’ve positioned the engine to sit with the best weight distribution as possible.

16667755_1427517927282496_1462349760_o

16667770_1427517917282497_868801164_o

1/2/17

New OEM thermostat acquired and fitted, coolant neck sealed up.

3/2/17

Seeing the valve cover go on was the icing on the cake and my box of new gaskets and seals was looking emptier and emptier. You can see just behind the oil cap where I had to notch for the Tomei rocker arm stoppers.

16667099_1425579660809656_734399750_o

The valve cover fixings I had been waiting for arrived, unfortunately two of the aluminium caps / washers were missing so am waiting for them to arrive from the states. Pretty tidy kit this, wont be needing the coil pack cover cap screws.

16651014_1425579637476325_668180919_o

With the engine on it’s new trolley fitting the new clutch and flywheel was super easy. All aligned and bolted down with ARP flywheel bolts and the clutch cover bolt set from my old red S14.

16523847_1425579900809632_516949448_o

16667636_1427803720587250_2010129061_o

The blog posts are now up to date and can say there are some cool things coming, will be working on the induction side and looking for a car to put the running gear in next so watch this space.

To be continued…

Advertisements